The six variables
- Defines what the project will deliver
- Need to understand what is IN scope and what is OUT of scope
- Essential that this is very clearly understood and agreed to by all involved parties
- Without knowing, those involved will make assumptions and often talk at cross-purposes
- Scope Creep - Care must be taken not to deliver beyond the scope, as this often causes delays, overspends and uncontrolled changes
- When will the project deliver?
- Ensuring the deliverables are fit for purpose and meet the defined acceptance criteria
- Ensuring the project is affordable and within tolerance defined within the Business Case
- Understanding how much risk can be accepted
- How can the risks be mitigated?
- Why are we doing this?
- The Project Manager must understand the purpose of the project as an investment and make sure that what the project delivers is consistent with achieving the desired return